Friday, March 20

COMPASS ROSE.






Still in Isla Contadora and setting sail for another island in Las Perlas this afternoon. Kim, Pierre, and I had quite the mission yesterday. Wetsuits on, we plunged into the dark abyss and cleaned as much of the hull of the boat as we could. Hundreds of barnacles sank before my eyes like brilliant sparks aglow against the deep blue water. It was quite the workout with Kim and I comparing ourselves to Navy Seals (ha!). The current was strong and tossing me around. At times, I lost my sense of direction and would flounder until I found the way to oxygen. Patrick and Thomas had fun on the beach and made sand balls that we found intact this morning. The sunsets never fail. Always "marvillosa" with layers of cobalt blue, lavender, scarlet, and flamenco pink. I am proud to say that I was a part of a historic day on Victoria. Yesterday Kim settled down with her first frozen drink in the cockpit since departing in February 2008. Strawberry Banana daqueris all around with a strong breeze and blugrass music freeing a space for endless stories told. She reminds me that sailing isn´t all bliss. It takes hard work to have fun. All the sweat makes the downtime sweet as the homemade piƱa (pineapple) icecream here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Catherine!! Your adventure sounds amazing--- So jealous!! My brother lives in PC, so I know the weather down there is prrrime! I've added your blog to my homepage tabs (I stalk 2 other traveling friends as well!) Take safe and safe sailing!!! Kate Stice