Tuesday, March 17

BALBOA YACHT CLUB MARINA.

Ah, the time has come to bid farewell to this beautiful paradise. It's been over a week, and just as I am feeling at home, it's time to kiss and hug goodbye. I'm going to miss the Balboa Yacht Club Marina and all of the people that make it a community. Most of my friends here are bronzed men. Old and young. With lines engraved into their skin from a life lived at sea. And big, bright smiles.

Yesterday I took time to relax on one of the yacht club benches beneath the shade of a big, lively tree and watch the sun go down. Slowly, the sky turned peachy red and mango yellow. Mountains were in the distance.  Sailboats and cargo ships were in the middle ground. Dark silhouette of branches caught my eyes on the horizon. I meditated on the serene picture before me. I thanked God for you and all of the good swarming around me.

Here are some memories from Panama in no particular order:

Long runs down the Causeway Amador. Lined with palms, this famous lane was created using earth that was excavated during the making of the Panama Canal.

Getting my Yellow Fever Vaccination in a local clinic with adorable nurses. Juan (my trusty taxi driver) accompanied me for moral support.

Beers with other cruisers (most of them Canadian) at the Yacht Club. Relishing in their tales of foreign lands and of course listening intently to their advice. 

All of our rendezvous with Mike, Nicole, and their sons (locals we befriended). We shared dinner parties, poolside visits, and laughter. I know where they live and have already warned them that one of these days Im going to come knocking on their door.

Tour of Cosco Viejo, Panamas Old Town with breaks for fresh Ceviche, Gourmet French Helado (Lavender, Honey, Coconut, Mango-Banana), and chilled cocktails.

Every day, walking to and fro our floating home down the long pier with enthusiastic greetings all along the way. Especially greetings from Angel, the jolly security guard.

Celebrating Saint Patrick's Day! Getting into mischief late last night with Kim to make our Cabin look like the 'Lucky Leprechaun' had been there. Notes scribbled, drawings colored, stuffed animals hung, string strung, and candy scattered throughout. The boys were stoked this morning. 
Everyone is wearing green!

Sleeping in the Cockpit with the boys and wishing on a shooting star.

Watching the fireworks every night through the portholes of our boat.

Witnessing Sandra Sandoval in the flesh (a Latina legend).  She hypnotizes you with the shake of her booty.

Using cardboard boxes (as instructed by Beau, Lucas, and Alex) to sled down the steep hill in front of the ACP mansion (Panama Canal Administration).

Rising early and waking up slow with my Panama Coffee in hand.

Delighting in all of the people and animals taking 'siestas'. There are countless men in hammocks and kitty cats lounging about everywhere.

Slumbering so deep last night with dreams of my first sail.

We are finally set to leave Panama City and sail to Las Perlas this morning. I am aglow. Keeping y'all close in my heart and present in spirit always.

Cheers!

Catail

1 comment:

Unknown said...

kitty. remember toboga? me and benny were there for the honeymoon. sweet memories!