Wednesday, April 1

THE EQUATOR.





Reporting live from the breezy yacht club of Puerto Amistad. It's Wednesday (movie night) and much to my dismay, the majority chose to watch The Bourne Identity. My heart was set on Camino Revolucionario, the new feature starring Kate Winslet and the all too dreamy Leonardo Dicaprio. I'm a Titanic fan and so very romantic, so go figure. Letting my shoulders drop and breathing deeply, I feel good. After all, I have been delighting in the house sangria and speaking in Spanish all evening to a jolly good fellow from the South of France. This open aired gathering place set on the sea feels like home in just 3 days. Everything about it is merry and welcoming, easy and tranquilo. There are hammock swings and casual dining tables, a garden and small dance floor and a full, gorgeous bar built of bamboo and natural stones. The staff and cruisers make one big, eclectic familia. There's an abundance of camaraderie, fascinating stories, and wild ideas.

Before giving away all my Bahia secrets, I wish to give you a little more insight as to our passage. I've saved the best for last: our epic celebration on the EQUATOR! For days we anticipated the party. Tio Pierre, our salty Captain taught me that sailing is a world full of superstitions as well as traditions that may bring good or bad luck at sea. You should never change a boats name, for example. However no one could recall the exact protocol for passing over the equator. We were left to our own devices and with two little boys in charge, we couldn't have been in better hands. Patrick and Thomas decided we should all transform into greek gods and goddesses. Thomas was Zeus, Patrick became Apollo, Kim assumed the powers of Athena, Pierre inevitably was King Neptune and I was Aphrodite. We crowned ourselves with aluminum foil and dressed as mythically as our cabins allowed. Kim and I wrapped up in our colorful, Kuna Indian sarongs. Suddenly belt ropes were warrior head dresses and drift wood was the perfect trident for Poseidon. At about 9 AM we were there- at the EqUAtOr and we were ready! I presented necklaces for everyone made with shells, rocks and coral that I'd found in the Perlas. We couldn't believe the water!!! Blue and still as far as the eye could see. We took turns leaping off of the bowsprit and swam in this endless, refreshing pool. We laughed, splashed, snapped pictures, and beckoned shy dolphins to come closer. We sat there for hours, basking in silliness. The boys called for everyone to do an act to demonstrate their immortal strengths. The whole thing was sheer madness and belly wrenching giggles. The perfect morning continued with plates overflowing with fluffy, french toast hot off the gimble stove: a breakfast feast fit for Aphrodite herself! Alas while perched on the end of the 6ft bowsprit, I spotted land! South America was in reach and we'd be in Cabo Pasado by dusk. 

No comments: