Sunday, April 5

Tin Fiddles and Mexican Trains

Buenos Dias mis amores! It's another beautiful day in Bahia. A little overcast this morning as the sun hasn't quite broken through in all its glory. We're blessed with a little shade on these "winter", warm days. This morning we rose early just like every morning but with a specific task at hand! Kim and I spent all of yesterday afternoon taping edges, romoving hardware, sanding wood and wiping down the boat in preparation for varnishing. Today we got started with the brushes, feathering back on every stroke to make the golden wood glow. Bikini clad with KT Tunsall's voice pouring through the speakers, I enjoyed getting my hands dirty and adding my unique touch to Victoria. After all, I have to earn my keep!

As the birds chirp and sing around me in this open space, I reflect on the past few days as well as those to come.

-The boy's first soccer match! It was on Saturday and held at the "Estadio grade". The boys were jumping with excitement and the whole family piled in a taxi to take us to this historic event! All of their miniature teammates were so precious in their white t-shirts and cleats. No shin guards necessary. Kim and I warmed up with them before the coach and the other team arrived (90 kids drove 4 hours from the coastal town of Esmeraldas to play). We sat way up high in the professional venue to get the best shade and the best view. Lush, green mountains and a big, Carolina blue sky cradled the field below. The coach let Thomas and Patrick start! Kim and Pierre were initially horified. The last time they saw the boys practice, they spent their time on the field catching bugs and twirling their hair, completely oblivious to the game. I assured them that their boys were fine and kept emphasizing the importance of having fun. To our delight, Patrick and Thomas got a few touches on the ball, hustled and held their own as first-time defenders. I smiled on as I observed them dodging that ball right in front of the goal and struggling to understand body language in a foreign world. They were so brave out there getting their first taste of fierce competition and using hand signals to break through the Spanish barrier. At times it was as if I was looking upon myself and my own growth as an athlete, a bilingual gal and a student of life!

-Getting to know my Colombian friends Alvero and Jorge and seriously considering riding with them to Colombia on the back of a motorcycle. The thought of entering such a mystical country that most travelers never see on the back of a bike steals my heart! Our very own "Diarios de la motocicleta" (Che Guevara) with two trusty, personal guides. We would cruise through the Andean countryside, stopping at historical sites and make our way to Armenia, thier quaint Mountain town where Jorge has a "Finca" (farm) growing everything from Macademia trees to coffee plants. Colombia calls me to know its riches and its people. The lingering risks to the country's unstable political state and corruption gives me reason to meditate on the decision. It may be life defining and inevitably one confronting fear. The guys are currently sailing in Salinas, an island off of the Ecuadorian coast for another week so I have time to gather my heart's desires before they return. I'm open to your advice. We took the "motos" out for a test run a few nights ago. Riding into the sunset, I knew that it was a part of my destiny. I'll continue to fantasize about getting my own bike one day making tracks down wild city streets as well as overgrown, lost paths. Any takers?

-My first dance lesson with "China", my best local girlfriend who tends the bar at the yacht club. We crossed the river to get to San Vicente where we found a lone and lively, cabana discotec resounding in Salsa and techno beats with a group of equally ambitious patrons. Alvero and Jorge joined us beneath the multi-colored disco balls in our all too hillarious attempt to feel the music and let it seep through our bones. I needed some time to acclemate to the fluidity and sensuality of the culture. China and I went back and forth as I mimicked her movement and grew more confident with every song and every chilled sip of Pilsner cerveza. As we walked into the cool night breeze, Alvaro told me that most Americans move stiff but that I was like a snake. I'm 100% sure that he was dilusional. But I smiled nevertheless, satisfied with the lights of Bahia getting closer with the extended hum of our midnight ferry.

-Stopping by the Colegio Immaculada (the Catholic school) to meet Thomas and Patrick's new teachers and class and get them their books and uniforms. The whole school was like walking into a giant atrium. Flora and fauna entertwined with concrete paths with benches, a rose garden and a big blacktop for recess. Kim, Pierre and I beamed as Sunny, the boy's 5th grade teacher took them in her arms and presented them to the entire, giggling and curious class. The girls wore white, nautical dresses like little sailers and the boys donned white short-sleeved oxford shirts with a little patch on the front pocket. This too summoned feelings of pride and nostalgia. I've been in their shoes and couldn't be more excited for their upcoming adventure and special first day, TOMORROW! Best of all, while at the school I had the great honor of meeting Mother Superior. The Nun in charge of it all. She had an aura of holiness and the most gentle and knowing smile I've ever seen. I wasn't the only one who felt this. Pierre exclaimed, she's like out of a movie! Kim and I are already talking about inviting her over to the boat for cocktails.

-Fruity indulgences on every corner. The hot days are broken up with ice-cold banana smoothies for only 75 cents. Sometimes I have to get 2. I enjoy every sip, strolling as slowly as possible along the oceanfront sidewalk, stopping to enhale and exhale with the waves. I'll then find a bench for reading and writing in my journal. A minute may pass before I'm greated with a curious passerby and lost in conversation. I have to watch out for the old men. They always try to sneak kisses on the lips when greating and departing. It's impossible to avoid and always leaves me blushing.

More to come! I'm off for a lunch date!

No comments: