Wednesday, May 27

JIPIJAPA.

What an appropriate name for a town I had to go through in route to MontaƱita, this colorful and ever so funky surf town. I have taken a trip back in time to the 70s where this groovy village was a hippy paradise. The roads are dirt, the feet are bare, the beaches are alive! The Ecuadorian coast line is stunning. As I wound around the Ruta del Sol (route of the sun) I absorbed the rocky, winding cliffs and the blue, sparkling water below. There are islands and unique rock formations giving every beach its own, distinct landmark.

I have found a sweet little beach front hotel on the main drag to call home and even have my own balcony where I can watch all of the action from above. It reminds me of my balcony in Valencia but perhaps more primitive and unconventional. Conveniently it is next door to the Machu Picchu Restaurant where I have made fast friends with 4 Dominican Republicans who run the place. Last night I was a guest at their special birthday party for the owners mother. There we represented Lithuania, Russia, Dominican Republic, Sweedan, Spain and the United States. It is truly amazing how traveling brings together cultures. Sharing a couple of days in an exotic place sparks friendships trancending age, origen, language, skin color.

There is a big gathering today for the futbol game between Manchester United and Barcelona. I think I am going to stick around until Friday. Sunkissed and sandy, I am delighted by the artesanias, salsa dancing, fruit stands and firey, ocean sunsets.

Sending so much love.
Wish you all were here to share it with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's my girl !!!!!!!!!!!! love, dad

Kate said...

Sounds like you are doing great! I am so jealous of your adventure as I sit here in front of a computer for the 8th hour of my work day... The trip sounds fantastic and I'm glad you are still having so much fun! xo Kate