Friday, May 29

LIQUID SUNSHINE.

As I once again climbed the Andes mountains on my big blue bus in route to Cuenca, I slipped out of my dreams to catch the liquid sunshine on the other side of my window. Yes, there was the light peeping through the thick white clouds now engulfing us. I had to chuckle when all of a sudden I thought of Mama Bear, my late grandmother telling me the history of such peculiar weather. When the sun shines and rain falls at once, the Devil is beating his wife.

I left Machala this morning after a sweet interlude with Alexia, a mutual friend from Bahia de Caraquez and her family. What a difference it made to be in a home- I slept so sound after a tipico dinner around the table and an evening listening to her tweenage daughter play the piano. I don´t think they realized what a treat the music was for me- and the company. One day I´m going to focus all of my energy on playing those ivory keys. And painting. The thought wraps me in joy! Only good things happen around a piano.

I arrived in Cuenca this afternoon around 4 pm and lit up when I saw the heavenly white and blue towers of the Catedral Inmaculada that is frequently pictured in magazines and tourist books. They gleamed against the muted, grey sky. After securing the best deal on a room I´ve seen yet, I hit the ground running. Literally. My legs felt good after resting too long at bay with my foot injury. I could hardly distinguish my sweat from the refreshing rain drops cleansing my face. Ah, the good ole days are back. I´m anxious to run a marathon while in South America and be kind to my body that needs physical challenges, daily. Although Patricia and I love to don our Save the World tees, scouted at the neighborhood Tia supermarket in Bahia, and joke that our relaxed, low impact ways on the beach are good for our planet, I know that I need to be moving. I need to be strong in mind, in body and in spirit.

Running is a clever way to get to know a new city. Especially when it is getting dark and you are geographically impaired. I tromped through the enchanting city until I reached its center that was declared a World Heritage Trust Site by UNESCO and that can trace its roots back to 500 AD. I was sure that if I listen and look hard enough I could hear and see its stories in the ancient streets and walls. I creeped in on a couple misas (catholic masses), breathed in the rich aroma of a dozen flower stands lining the sidewalk, and savored a perfect scoop of homemade pistachio helado.

The liquid sunshine has given way to a brilliant night sky. I am off for a romantic night in a foreign town full of possibility. It´s Friday- I am all smiles and

I love y´all.
Catail of Cuenca

1 comment:

Holly M. said...

You are such an amazing breath of fresh air, Catty C. I can't believe how long it's been since I've seen your smiling face in person! I love a miss you and hope you are having the best of times!