Monday, June 1

VILCABAMBA VERTIGO.

    



 

Life is beautiful. I could have a thousand splendid suns (ode to my current read, The Kite Runner) in this mountain paradise that is legendary for its residents having the longest lifespan of anywhere in the world! Vilcabamba is a sweet, perfectly set town in the foothills of majestic, green carpeted mountains. I´m mesmerized by the ridges and the folds of the incredible, shooting landscape. Looking out into the royal abyss from atop the 2 highest peaks of Mandango this morning, I felt lifted and perfectly suited for the warm light that drenched the living, natural sanctuaries and my salty, seed covered body. Millions of tall reeds swayed on the mountainside with fuzzy, purple tips. Families of brilliant yellow and black butterflies seemed to always be floating along, upwards and across the worn ridgelines spanning dropping cliffs on both sides. The hike will never elude my memory, I´m sure. I was happy to have the company of Douglas from Canada who I met on the bus here from Cuenca. Bearded and merry, he´s been a perfect travel companion with lots of common ground to speak of.

I´m looking over my shoulder now to catch the cheerful plaza in the setting sunlight. There sits Augustine who is 85 years old and who offered me a promise ring to return to him in Vilcabamba one day. This afternoon, a passing bunch of jovial elderly folks paused to join us at our bench and chat. There stood a jolly fellow boasting 100 years of age! One of the ¨old¨ women plainly stated that age is a matter of the heart. That my friend Augustine indeed was as young as me where it counted, inside his soul. Yes, all is well on this Día del niño (Children´s Day, celebrating the little ones).

The starry skies, mountain highs and human touch (yes today I indulged in a heavenly full body massage and facial by the lovely Piedad) have given me all I need to catch my early bird, 4:45 AM bus tomorrow. I´m border bound and cannot wait to set foot in PERU! My heart is set on Máncora, a sexy surf town on the northern coast, but you never can tell when you´re at the mercy of the wind. Speaking of, I found the following excerpt from my diary last night:


It´s really hard for me to fathom being- here- in this moment- moving on from a dream realized and being so much better for it. I thank my lucky shooting stars that I came- that I didn´t wait- that I took the wheel and went against the current to find a wind that has filled and carried my soul.

I encourage all who are reading this to reevaluate your living. It is always a good time to reinvent yourself and do what you always wished you had. I am your biggest fan.

Sending a guitar strummin´ hippie named Tom, a chilled fat-boy Pilsner and a Quechwa blessing from Delphina!

1 comment:

Christine said...

ahah I am your biggest fan;) keep these entries coming. I LOVE them and you.